Sweet Things That Are GAPS Friendly


"I can taste the healthiness." -- Nathan about the Lemon Gummies

With halloween coming up, I've been thinking about how we're going to approach the festival of sugar without actually eating any of those sugary treats. My sister sent me a link to Real Food RN with all sorts of Halloween treat ideas. I don't think they're GAPS specific, but I'm hoping to find a few I can easily modify. I also came across a pumpkin fudge recipe that I've modified to be GAPS friendly.

Tuesday (Day 11)
Breakfast: one egg omelette, squash pancakes with a dollop of lemon/honey yogurt, freshly made carrot juice
Lunch: the kids had more "meat stuff" and yogurt. I had leftovers of the taco meat from yesterday with guacamole heaped on top (to drown out the taste of the meat. I would have eaten just guacamole, but I knew that the taco meat would contain my only broth for the day, so I forced it down.)
Dinner: Pork cutlets; roasted carrots, beets, and fennel; and artichokes with butter.

Wednesday (Day 12) 
Breakfast: one egg omelette, one Applegate Naturals Chicken & Apple breakfast link, and a little Bubbies sauerkraut (I've been really bad about remembering to put probiotic veggies into our meals and I wanted a third thing for breakfast that wasn't just another protein deal, so I settled on this.)
Lunch: kids - "meat stuff" and yogurt. apple sauce also for nathan. (the girls didn't eat theirs yesterday so i'm guessing the meat and yogurt was enough for them.) me - finished up the guacamole and a squash muffin that I'd made a few days ago. Yogurt with honey for dessert.
Snack: Lemon Gummy Treats (I didn't use any colorings or oils. Just lemon juice, Great Lakes unflavored gelatin, and honey.) and Squash Fudge (I modified the recipe. I'll post my version soon.)
Dinner: Cajon Shrimp and "Grits" (which didn't go over super well)

I've had a bit of an itchy/runny nose. I thought my allergies were done (either because we'd had a frost or because of the diet), but I guess they're still around. Maybe by the time spring allergies come around, the diet will have healed my gut to the point where I'm allergy free. * crosses fingers *

While searching to find out whether certain things are GAPS allowed or not (I don't even remember any more what I was searching for) I came across the Kitchen Stewardship site which compares SCD, GAPS and one other diet (that I'd never heard of before).


One gallon of yogurt

I bought a gallon of whole milk at Vitamin Cottage for only $3 in the bargain section. So Tuesday night I made a gallon of yogurt. I have three empty jars in the above photo to stand in for the three jars that I'd sent to school with the kids. That's a LOT Of yogurt for only $3. Woot! And it's enabled us to finally get a bit ahead on the yogurt front. We've been pretty much eating all the yogurt that I make each day (which is about 4/7ths of a gallon. I dump in a half gallon and then a bit more.) I was even able to give some away to my mom. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment