Pork Cutlets - GAPS Style



My sister recently told me about Rocky Plains Meats, which is located in Erie/Dacono, but they also have an outlet in Loveland. I finally checked out the Loveland store today and picked up some cuts of meat. I picked out some pork cutlets, mostly because they were skinny and I thought they might thaw in time to be used for dinner tonight, but I had no idea how to cook them. So I buzzed about the internet in search of a recipe and wouldn't you know, every single pork cutlet recipe I could find included bread crumbs or flour, neither of which works on a grain free diet. I suppose I could have dredged them through almond or coconut flour, but instead I cooked them without coating them in anything. Here's what I did.

I used two fry pans, mostly because I didn't want the meat to get cold and I was frying up four slices of piggy. I heaped a whole lotta coconut oil into each fry pan. (If I had measured, it probably would have been about 1/4 cup coconut oil.) I used a medium heat and popped the slices in as soon as the coconut oil was melted and warmed up. I sprinkled salt, pepper, and Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute across the top of the meat. Then I let it cook for 3 or 4 minutes before turning it over and seasoning the other side. I'm guessing the meat cooked for another 4 or 5 minutes with a couple more flips as I checked to make sure I'd cooked the meat all the way through.




I transferred the meat to a plate, poured all the remaining herbs and coconut oil on top, and served it just like that. It was very easy and the family gave it rave reviews. (I also cooked up two sausages only because my husband didn't think the pork would be enough for the 5 of us. It cooked up larger than it had looked in the package, though, and we ended up with one sausage as leftovers. I think my husband only ate the other sausage because he felt bad that he'd asked for them. I think if I had eaten more meat, the sausages would have been needed, but since I'm a vegetarian struggling through a meat filled diet, I went with a small piece.)



I served the pork cutlets with roasted veggies. This picture is of the beats and carrots. I also had roasted fennel. Plus we had artichokes with butter to dip the leaves in. It was quite a feast. And for dessert, yogurt with homemade apple sauce (which you can see cooking on the stove in the top photo). 




0 comments:

Post a Comment