Squash Fudge - GAPS Style


I came upon a Pumpkin Fudge recipe on the Conscious Cleanse website in a post entitled, Better than Your Mom's Pumpkin Pie. It has a few ingredients that aren't GAPS approved, so I made some modifications and thought I'd posted the GAPS-ified version here. Instead of using canned pumpkin, I boiled up some butternut squash I had on hand and then used a blender to mix it in with the rest of the ingredients. Apparently canned pumpkin is OK with the GAPS diet but not the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. But since I had squash on hand, and since Dr. Natasha likes freshly home made things so you know exactly how old they are and what ingredients are included, I figured I'd roll with the squash. I also replaced the sweeteners with honey. This stuff is addictively yummy.

Ingredients
1/2 cup squash/pumpkin, cooked until soft.
1/3 cup almond butter
1/4 cup honey
½-1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup melted coconut butter
3 TB. melted coconut oil
Sea salt to taste (I used about a 1/2 teaspoon.)

Directions
If your squash/pumpkin is already blended till smooth, then use a small bowl to mix all of the ingredients except the coconut. If you're started with a boiled hunk of squash, like I did, then throw everything into the blender (except the coconut). Melt the coconut butter and oil together on the stove, then mix everything together. Mush the concoction into a pan or into a small muffin tin. I froze mine, though putting the mixture into the fridge might work just as well. Once hardened, cut into bite size pieces (or pop the treats out of the muffin tin) to serve.

These melt in your mouth and if you're not careful, you might just eat them all before anyone else gets a chance to taste them. Yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment