Celebrating... Despite the Lack of Potatoes

Friday was my mom's birthday. On Saturday, we all got together at my sister's house to celebrate. Since my sister and her family are also doing the GAPS diet, the event wasn't as much of an ordeal as you might anticipate. But we were on stage 4 at that point and my sis and her family were still around 2 somewhere. ... And then she found out that the turkey she was going to boil didn't fit into her crock pot. So their family jumped up to roasted meats a little faster than they had anticipated.

And we had a feast! Roast turkey, nut stuffing (from the Internal Bliss cookbook, page 129), pureed squash, peas with ghee, cranberry sauce (OK, so juice was also a no-no at the stages we were at. But she used gelatin, which is really nutritious. So we justified it's use that way. ... and we had turkey, so it kinda had to be done.), carrots and broccoli. And for dessert we had acorn squash custard. (Naomi grumbled that the only thing our meal was missing was potatoes. She longs for the day when we end this diet only because she feels she can't live without potatoes.)


My nephew helped my mom blow out her birthday candle. 


It was nice to get together with other folks who were going through what we were. We shared how our bodies were adjusting, what our die-off symptoms were, etc. We probably sounded like a bunch of old biddies sharing all our ailments. But I guess the reason you share is so that you know you're not the only one going through it.

So here's what we ate Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Saturay (Day 8) 
Breakfast: Freshly juiced carrot/apple juice. (OK, I missed the fact that apple should have waited a stage or two.) One egg omelette (with onions cooked in ghee on the inside). Slices of avocado. Slices of smoked salmon. (Is smoked stuff allowed at this point? Hmmmm.)
Lunch: Meat "Stuff" (That's what we've begun to call the meat dish I make for the kids lunches. It's ground beef browned part way, then cooked with onions, whatever veggies I want to throw in, and whatever broth we have on hand. I add one can of tomato paste, salt and pepper, and maybe basil/oregano or chili. I think all I ate for lunch myself was some raw cashew butter (I'm a bit of an addict.) and yogurt with a bit of honey.
Dinner: The turkey dinner that I described above.
Dessert: Yogurt with honey.

Sunday (Day 9) 
Breakfast: Carrot/apple juice. One egg omelette (with onions cooked in ghee on the inside). Salmon slice.
Lunch: Frittatta (with peas, broccoli, and onions) and squash pancakes with lemon/honey yogurt on top.
Dinner: Roasted chicken, almond flour muffins, peas, and leftover nut stuffing.
Snacks and desserts all consisted of yogurt or nut butters. We're not very imaginative when it comes to snacks, I guess. We're sure looking forward to adding fruits to our diet.

Monday (Day 10) 
Breakfast: Omelette and avocado and half a leftover muffin each.
Lunch: Kids had yogurt, apple sauce, nut butter, and a little chicken in broth. I had homemade guacamole with honey yogurt for dessert.
Dinner: Tacos in cabbage leaf shells. (Ground beef simmered in broth with tomatoes from the garden, onions, garlic, and seasoning.) And chicken chili verde (tomatillos, onions, green tomatoes, garlic, roasted anaheim chili, chicken, broth, and some dollops of homemade yogurt) with cauliflower "rice."
Dessert: Yogurt, of course. I also made a batch of squash pumpkins at one point with lemon/honey yogurt sauce, but they didn't last long. I think I got two before they all disappeared. My poor son came up to get on 10 minutes after they were made and they were already gone.

As far as side-effects/die-off stuff... My stomach no longer feels like I have a bowling ball in it every time I eat and I'm not burping nearly as much. I'm not as fatigued. And I think I've gained back some of the weight that I lost (which is a mixed blessing, I suppose). But Sunday morning I woke up with a runny and itchy nose, as if my allergies had come back. I haven't had an itchy nose in about a month and during the first week of the GAPS diet one definite plus was that my nose ran less in general. Ditto for my son. His nose was still OK on Sunday, but this morning both of our noses were running. So something happened this weekend that set our allergies off. I'm hoping it was the walnuts and pecans in the stuffing. We ate it two days in a row, but we didn't eat any today, so we'll see how we're feeling tomorrow. If the allergy symptoms are still there, we're going to have to back a few other things out until we figure out what it was that set us off. My son also seems to have developed a tick in one eye. I don't know if that's stress related or food related. He doesn't usually have a tick.

I went for a walk around Sheldon Lake this morning. So I'll end with a shot of the gazebo on the lake with mist rising off the water. :-)


0 comments:

Post a Comment