Grain Free Crackers

I've never liked the taste or texture of meat. My mom says that when I was an infant and she would feed me meat baby food, I'd spit it out. But I've always liked the veggies. I'm mostly a vegetarian these days, though there have always been a few meats that I like. Bacon is one of those. (As long as it's well cooked and crispy.) Liverwurst is another. I've only eaten it rarely, but as part of our diet I've tried it out again. Liver is a nutrient dense food, full of vitamin A, D and several of the Bs.

But to eat liverwurst, one must have a proper cracker. And being on a grain free diet meant most store bought crackers are verboten. So I found a grain-free recipe that I really like. This recipe is from the Mother Necessity cookbook by Cristin Fergus. What I really like about this cookbook is that it gives gluten free recipes using alternative grains, but it also gives recipes that use nut flours, which means I can use the cookbook now while we're grain free, but I might be able to branch out and try some of the other recipes if when we start adding GMO-free grains back into our diet.



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. (Lower if you want to dehydrate your crackers rather than cook them. Mother Necessity says to spread the batter in a dehydrator. If you choose to do likewise, you can obviously ignore the preheating directions.) 

Ingredients
2 cups of almond flour (Mother Necessity calls for 2 cups of pre-soaked almonds)
2 tablespoons of butter or ghee (or maybe coconut oil?)
3/4 teaspoon salt
water
additions: sessame seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Directions
Throw ingredients in a blender or food processor. (I have a Ninja.) Start with 1/3 cup water. If you want to make individual crackers by hand, then this might be all you need. But if you want to spread the dough easily on a cookie sheet, you might want to add more water. (It really doesn't matter how much water you add because you're just going to end up cooking the water out of them later.)

I used a silicone sheet to spread the batter on. Parchment paper also works. Just lay it on top of a cookie sheet and spread the batter on top. You can make your crackers super thin or a bit thicker if you want a bit more toothiness. Cooking time will vary accordingly. A good rule of thumb is to check on your crackers after about 10 minutes. (I've also cooked these simply by putting them into the oven right after finishing another baking project. I then turned the oven off, but it was still hot and cooked the crackers as it cooled down.)

I love the batter for these crackers. I find myself eating scoopfulls before I manage to get the cookie sheet in the oven.

You can break the cracker  sheet down into individual crackers either by breaking pieces off by hand or by using a knife or pizza cutter.

Add-ons: If you'd like to have more texture or flavor on your cracker, sprinkle flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or whatever sounds yummy to you on top of your cracker base. Or if you want to get really jiggy with it, stir your add-ons into the batter before spreading onto the cookie sheet.


0 comments:

Post a Comment