Apple Carrot Curry Soup

After trying out a little apple in my cabbage soup, I decided to see how apple would work in a carrot soup. I didn't follow a recipe, which means I didn't measure a single thing. But here's an approximation of what I did.



Ingredients
A heap o' carrots
An onion
A couple of apples
Homemade chicken broth (or whatever kind of broth you have on hand)
Salt
Pepper
Curry powder
1 can of coconut milk (without guar gum)
1 cup whipping cream (because the soup needed some more healthy fat)

Directions
1. I set a pot on the stove with about 2 cups of water in it. That gave the carrots something to start simmering in as I cut them up and tossed them in. I probably diced up 10 or so carrots. I pureed up the soup later so I didn't worry about the size of the chunks. Chop up the onion and add that as well.
2. Add 3 cups(ish) of broth. The water should cover the carrots and onions entirely. Cook for about 20 minutes before adding in the apples.
3. Once the carrots are soft, run the soup through a blender or use an immersion blender wand thingy. (That's the technical name for it.) Blend until every last carrot has been blenderized.
4. Add the coconut milk and whipping cream. Add salt, pepper and curry powder to taste. (I used probably 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of curry. My chicken broth doesn't have any salt in it. If you're adding broth with salt, then you might not need to add any.)
5. I added a couple of apple slices just to make the soup look pretty. The girls were eating pomegranates and I was tempted to add some seeds for color, but ended up leaving them out... mostly because the girls are very possessive of their pomegranates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment