The Kids Reaction to Stage One of the GAPS Diet

As I've been reading through Dr. Natasha's book on GAPS, I've tried to share, here and there, little details with my family about how the diet works, why I think we should try it, what it would look like, etc. I told the kids we wouldn't be eating any grains (which, with the exception of rice, we'd already kinda been doing ever since we tried a gluten free / casein free diet), but I kind forgot to mention that there'd be no potatoes either. As Naomi was stirring the chicken soup I made last night, she noticed the glaring lack of potato-eyness. It was at that moment that the lights flicked on and she realized, "Not just no grains, but no starches at all. And that means no potatoes!" I kind of expected a lot of whining at that point, but after about 5 minutes of withdrawal symptoms, she calmed down and seemed to do OK. She didn't like the cauliflower I added to the soup in place of potatoes, but she likes chicken soup in general so she was still alright with it all.



Butternut squash soup before it's blenderized.



Butternut squash soup after it's blenderized.


And that's kind of how it's been so far. The kids have a momentary hiccup as they realize a new aspect of the diet, then they realign their diet paradigm and move on. That said, I don't think anyone's too thrilled about the fish heads.

I'd love to try making this Fish Head Soup, but it calls for cream and we're not there yet in the diet. (I think we can do cream at some point. I know you can do butter and what's butter but beaten cream?) So instead I'm going to try Erin's fish soup recipe from Plan to Eat. (Ghee isn't listed as being a stage one ingredient... it's not supposed to come in until stage two. But I think I'm going to go for it and add some in. Our soups need something to jazz them up a little and ghee might help.)


Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads.


So far I think everyone feels just plain hungry on this diet. I've had two different soups (chicken and butternut squash) available all day long and once the kids had a bowl of each, they were done. I've got the fish soup almost ready for tonight and a beef broth simmering for tomorrow, but the kids keep asking when they can have something other than soup. ... We've only been doing this for 24 hours at this point and already everyone's ready to move on to the next stage. One of my girls was asking me when we can have eggs. I told her that we were going to do egg drop soup tomorrow night and she said, "No, mom. Just plain eggs."

------------------------------------------------------------

So we had the fish soup for dinner and it appears to have been a hit. I was the only one that got seconds, but everyone said it was tasty.  I've got some salmon fillets that I didn't use so I threw all the fish bones and squooshy bits back into a pot with fresh water and I'll make more fish broth for a second round of fish soup. I would certainly prefer that to the cow soup we'll have on hand tomorrow.


Keeping enough soups available that everyone has something that tastes good to them has been the hardest part so far. For dinner they have to eat what's served. But for breakfast and lunch they can choose. Probably the biggest problem is me. The chickeny-ness of the chicken broth came through even in the butternut squash soup. The fish soup was better, but still I miss good old veggie broth. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment