Putting the Pieces Together

Although my sister had been using some of Dr. Natasha's principals and had told me about them, I hadn't heard of Dr. Natasha herself until my son's doctor sent us the link to this video.

I'm a systems person. That means I'm not very good at taking in or processing data in a vacuum. It makes much more sense to me, and fits together better in my head, when data comes with a context. That's what I feel Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride provides in this video. She doesn't just explain the connection between gut health and psychological health (which is brilliant in its own right) but backs the story even further out to explain how our guts got into the state they're currently in, going back several generations.

I feel like many nutrition discussions devolve into X causes Y. As we started to face health issues in our family, the chief comment I got from people was, it must be gluten because gluten causes such and such. But there seemed to be a wider range of issues we were facing (including runny nose, hives, trouble sleeping, and depression) and X causes Y didn't seem to capture our story. What Dr. Natasha brings out is that there are many factors - antibiotics, GMOs, processed foods, high carb diets, yeast overgrowths, generational dysbiosis, etc - and they all played a part. And the outcomes weren't the same for everyone. Just as there wasn't just one X, there's also not just one Y. Symptoms manifested differently, not just in different people, but in the same person it seems like they change over time, probably based on the health of the gut at that point in time and what pathogens and toxins are escaping out to the rest of the body.

I had studied a lot about allergies, yeast overgrowths, anorexia, autism, and several other issues, but nothing tied all the pieces together as neatly as Natasha's description in this video. It's long, but it's worth the listen. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment