Lack of Snacks


These are mushrooms that I saw on my walk this morning.


We are experiencing a serious lack of snacks. The kids are feeling it. I'm feeling it. I tried some mango gummies (see link in the Thursday list of food) and some peanut butter cups (which I wrote down the ingredients for, but I'm not satisfied with them yet. So I'll have to work on this and post a recipe later). The main snack of choice for me and Anna is yogurt. Naomi goes with bananas. Nathan wants something more but doesn't seem to want anything that we already have readily available. :-P

I'm tempted to shell out $40 to get this heap of cookbooks from the Village Green Network.

I think snacks are generally grains. Grains hold up better than meat and veggies when they're not refrigerated. Cookies, cakes, granola bars, chips, pretzels, etc. You name it. If it's in the snack aisle it's mostly likely full of grains and/or full of sugars. There aren't a lot of veggies or meats in that aisle. (And if there are some there, they're full of extra junk that you really don't want to eat.) I think I need to start drying fruits and veggies and getting used to them as snacks. And I need to find ways to make and store food that the kids are willing to eat, but that don't require me getting up and cooking something every time they get hungry.

Here's the mostly-not-snacks we've been eating late. Lots of the same old same old.

Tuesday (Day 18)
Breakfast: broken record = one egg omelette (this time with onions and tomatoes) and slices of avocado
Lunch: another broken record = Indian style meat stuff for the kids. leftover asparagus frittata for me.
Dinner: yay! something new! I made a GAPS-style version of Naomi's favorite Mediterranean chicken dish with cauliflower rice. It wasn't as good as our usual version, but it was still kinda comforting to eat something from the olden days.

Wednesday (Day 19)
Breakfast: blah, blah, blah plus pancakes with peanut butter instead of almond butter and sunday bacon.
Lunch: blah, blah, blah and I went out to Restaurant 415 with my mom and had a salad and carrot curry soup. The soup was better than the salad.
Dinner: Borscht. I'd made borscht before since we started this diet, but all of the liquid was chicken broth and it was way too chickeny. We're all used to the way I usually make it with veggie broth, so the flavor was way off. This time around I made it with only a few cups of chicken broth and the rest was water with a veggie bouillon cube thrown in. It tasted just right. Anna's comment was, "Finally! Food that's not from the diet!"

Thursday (Day 20)
Breakfast: blah, blah, blah plus fried apples (Slice apples, fry them up on medium heat in lots of ghee, add cinnamon)
Lunch: blah, blah, blah and Mango Gummies for the kids (which Nathan said were horrible. Oh well.) and leftovers for me and Anna (who stayed home with a sore throat)
Dinner: salmon, asparagas, and chard.
Halloween Treats: Squash fudge (which no one seems to like but me), and peanut butter cups (which I didn't like the chocolate part of but like the peanut butter part of and nathan liked the chocolate part of but didn't like the peanut butter part. I need to keep working on that recipe. I used lots and lots of coconut butter, so I'll have to buy more before I do any more experimenting.)

Friday (Day 21) - We've finished 3 weeks on the diet.
Breakfast: blah blah blah, blah diddy blah plus bacon (which the girls didn't eat) and leftover homemade applesauce (only enough for the girls)
Lunch: Indian style meat stuff for Nathan. Yogurt, store bought apple sauce, and turkey slices for the girls. Yogurt and leftover roasted veggies for me.
Dinner: I want pizza. I need to look up lentils and GAPS and see if I can swing lentil soup. If not, I think I'll branch out and try one of the new recipes I've found via the library. If it's any good, I'll post the recipe.

I'm considering not keeping up our food diary, since it's a lot of the same stuff. (When you're making breakfast and lunch for four within 30 minutes, I don't really have the brain-bandwidth to mix things up too much.) So from here on out I think I'll focus on posting new recipes or links to sites with helpful info. If I find one of us has a reaction to something, I'll just have to use my brain to remember what it was we ate. (At this stage in my life I feel like I forget more than I remember. *sigh*)

0 comments:

Post a Comment