Grain-free Muffin Recipe



I've tried several Paleo/GAPS muffin recipes with pretty so-so results. But I finally found a recipe that I like. In fact, I haven't tried making any modifications to this one yet. (Which is really saying something since I love tweaking things. I may change out a wee bit of the almond flour for coconut flour the next time I try to make them, just to see how it goes. But I really like these muffins just the way they are.) I've only used this recipe to make blueberry muffins so far, but you could add any kind of berries, or go a savory route and try adding a little cheese and mustard.

This recipe is from Camilla over at Power Hungry. She includes links to two muffin recipes that she modified this one from. I think I'll have to test both of those out as well just to see how they compare. I've taken out the non-GAPS ingredients from her recipe. But everything that's here is something she included as an option, so I haven't made any substitutions.

Ingredients
2-1/2 cups almond flour/meal
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine sea salt
3 large eggs
⅓ cup unsweetened pumpkin/squash puree (or apple sauced or mashed ripe banana)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vinegar (I used white wine. Camilla suggests white or apple.)

Optional Flavorings: 1 teaspoon extract (e.g., vanilla, almond), citrus zest, dried herbs (e.g., basil, dill), or spice (e.g., cinnamon, cumin)
Optional Stir-Ins: 1 cup fresh fruit (e.g., blueberries, diced apple) or ½ cup dried fruit/cacao nibs/chopped nuts/seeds

(I love all these optional suggestions. They're straight from Camilla. )

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Line 10 cups (or more if you're adding a lot of fruit) in a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Mix all ingredients together. Fold in any optional stir-ins, if using. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until set at the centers and golden brown at the edges. (I've used frozen blueberries and because they're not thawed all the way when I add them, I have to cook these muffins for the full 20 minutes.) Move the tin to a cooling rack and let muffins cool. The cooler they are, the easier they'll be to remove from the tin. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment