Coconut Flour Crepes - GAPS / Paleo

I posted a coconut pancake recipe earlier that had been advertised as a crepe recipe... but it wasn't. At least it wasn't when I tried making it. So I've created my own crepe recipe and it's delicious!



For dinner tonight we're going to have salmon (with onions and a broth/butter sauce), apple slices with brie cheese, and parmesan spinach crepes. Here's the recipe for the crepes.

Ingredients
4 eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
dash of salt
dash of savory herbs (I used some lemon peel I didn't even know I had till I went rummaging through the herb/spice drawer.)
more butter to fry the crepes in

Directions
1. Melt the butter in the oven. Microwaving destroys nutrients. I know. I know. The micro is faster. But I'm trying to be a good girl and good girls melt their butter in the oven (or on the stove, or in the toaster oven, or somewhere that's not the micro).
2. Mix all of the ingredients together (except the butter that you're going to use to grease the fry pan). I don't care how you do it. It doesn't matter if you do dries and liquids separately then mix them together. That's just a bunch of bosch that cookbooks use to fill up their pages as far as I can tell. Throw everything into a bowl. Whip it up.
3. Melt some butter in a fry pan. Once it's hot, pour enough batter into the pan till it's about 3 or 4 inches across. When I did anything larger than that, it didn't flip so well. I found the crepes flipped better when the butter was starting to get used up, but they taste better when there's lots of butter. So I throw a lot in at first, then figure by the end I have pretty crepes even if in the beginning I had tasty crepes. It evens out.
4. Pile the crepes up on a plate as you work. You can then freeze them, fridge them, or use them immediately.



For the crepe filling I thawed some frozen spinach, threw in about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese that I had grated a couple days ago but not used, and stuck the bowl in the oven (where the fish was cooking). The cheese melted a bit and when I pulled it out I just stirred it together and used it to fill the crepes. Because the crepes themselves were kind of small, I had to "pin" them together with toothpicks. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment